The media was literally “eclipsed” yesterday. Astrologers, scientists, and practitioners of tantra were hogging up the airwaves and print. As I was channel surfing waiting for dinner I landed on the Lok Sabha channel with live coverage of the house (at about 8:30 PM). With P C Chacko in the chair, members were given a minute to raise question of “importance to the public”. These JAM segments included some very very interesting statements –
- Why is the Indian Medical Association Supporting Pepsi Co?
- Why is there a 66% increase in Cancer cases in Kuttanad in Kerala?
- Why is Maharashtra building a dam on a river that supplies water to AP in contravention of a Supreme Court ruling?
- Why was there a blast in two explosives factories in Orissa and why were the located in the proximity of residential buildings?
- On a lighter side, why does the face of Tulsidas figure on Bidi packaging?
I must track this “public importance” session as it will probably tell me far more than what the media ever will.